Slip Heaven Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rare 7-gore 1960s vintage pink Perlon full slip

4 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

A rare 7-gore 1960s vintage pink Perlon full slip - Page 2 Empty Re: A rare 7-gore 1960s vintage pink Perlon full slip

Post by sliplover46 Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:31 am

This Barbizon didn't have a pattern other than the lace. It was very shiny on the outside, the inside was a course weave.
sliplover46
sliplover46

Betty likes this post

Back to top Go down

A rare 7-gore 1960s vintage pink Perlon full slip - Page 2 Empty Re: A rare 7-gore 1960s vintage pink Perlon full slip

Post by Emma Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:28 am

sliplover46 wrote:This Barbizon didn't have a pattern other than the lace.  It was very shiny on the outside, the inside was a course weave.

European vintage slips are mostly different to American vintage slips in two distinct ways. Firstly, the straps on European slips were usually not adjustable except for the most expensive. That's by-and-by though because, secondly, Americans on the whole preferred more opaque slip fabrics. That's not to say that see-through sheer slips weren't available in the US, but on the whole American lady shoppers had a definite fondness for opacity. Barbizon fabrics reflect this, plus the clue is in the name when it comes to Van Raalte's 'Opaquelon'! No such qualms about sheer nylon slips here in Europe though!

Emms x
Emma
Emma

https://nylonnostalgia.com/

sliplover46 and Betty like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by sliplover46 Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:38 pm

Another mis-conception I had about slips was that they needed to have flat or ribbon straps. Given the purpose of a slip, to smooth out the dress that covers it, it seemed logical to me that spaghetti straps would show through the material. Then my wife brought home a young gal from work that was bailing on an abusive husband. She had a slip that I took to be a nightgown. She also had a collection of lovely nightgowns and my wife was not happy about the fashion show she put on for me every night. I asked her about wearing the white gown (I had files that I kept in the closet in the room she had), and she informed me it was a slip. Never did get a "fashion show" from her in that slip, but she did tell me she was wearing it one night when we all went to dinner and I could not see the spaghetti straps.
sliplover46
sliplover46

Emma likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Betty Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:37 am

[quote="sliplover46"]Another mis-conception I had about slips was that they needed to have flat or ribbon straps.  Given the purpose of a slip, to smooth out the dress that covers it, it seemed logical to me that spaghetti straps would show through the material.  Then my wife brought home a young gal from work that was bailing on an abusive husband.  She had a slip that I took to be a nightgown.  She also had a collection of lovely nightgowns and my wife was not happy about the fashion show she put on for me every night.  I asked her about wearing the white gown (I had files that I kept in the closet in the room she had), and she informed me it was a slip.  Never did get a "fashion show" from her in that slip, but she did tell me she was wearing it one night when we all went to dinner and I could not see the spaghetti straps.[/

I don't really mind my straps showing through a sheer dress or top unless I'm going somewhere formal, or if my dress is a halterneck, or the dress itself is strapless.
Betty
Betty

sliplover46 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by sliplover46 Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:18 am

Neither do we (guys) Betty!  Seeing four straps on the shoulders tells me a lot.  Add to that a flash of lace, maybe even a bit more through the kick panel of the skirt, and the fantasies start, and maybe trying to get a closer look and identify the slip.

Now, if, as you say, your outfit has a shear top, I would expect to see a lace bodice through the top. If the whole dress is shear, then a lovely lace trimmed delight would (I hope) greet me.
sliplover46
sliplover46

Betty likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2